Skip to main content

July, 14 2025 - Dead Media

Ask fm: The Anonymous Chaos That we Somehow Survived


"Who's your crush?"

"Be honest! Do you think you're pretty?"

"Did you really cheated on your BF?"


All these kind of questions, that I find.. intriguing and intimidating(?) will popped up everytime you open 'ask fm'.


The app won't tell you who sent the questions, it'll be set as anonymous (although I believe, sometimes the user themselves knew who sent the questions already, huh ). The surprising part? People answered this questions, willingly! Why? Because they are bored!




Ask.fm is a Q&A platform launched in Latvia, 2010. It reached it popularity's peak in 2013 (I was in middle school during that time). People will send you questions anonymously, and you can also send questions to others too. It was almost like a 'teenager confessions diary' at that time.


All my friends downloaded the app and getting excited about the questions they got, sometimes the questions was very outrageous and weird, like  


"I actually like you, do you know me?",

or 

"you know what? you actually aren't that pretty"

"hey, actually I hate you. What do you think?"

Questions that almost feel like 'cyber bullying',  but somehow my friends answered them voluntarily.


 I found it amusing when I looked at my friends's faces when they opened the app, they'll get excited when they got 'entertaining' questions, and sometimes they could sulk and got bad mood for a while because they got some 'strange' questions.

Me? No, I was busy studying, I didn't have any personal experience and emotional attachment with this app, unfortunately. 


The app was officially shut down last year, on 2024. It wasn't a chaotic, full of protests one. Rather like a peaceful and quiet death, it seems like everyone really do forgot about ASK.fm.  But I'll never forget the fun I felt when my friends were discussing about the questions they got on ASK.FM


Rest in peace, ask.fm

Comments

  1. Oh, is that what Ask FM was? I thought it was a radio station Thanks for telling me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July 21, 2025 What is News To You?

 A Brazilian Girl Met Her Tragic Death in Indonesia's Rinjani Volcano  (7/24) A 26-year-old Brazilian woman, Juliana Marins, was found dead after falling from Indonesia's infamous Mount Rinjani volcano. It was believed that she might have survived for up to 32 hours after the fall. However, the autopsy revealed that she died instantly, approximately 20 minutes after the incident.   Rinjani is an active volcano mountain in Indonesia, located in West Nusa Tenggara. It's famous amongst the hikers because it is the second highest volcano mountain in Indonesia, it offers you thrill and challenge because of its difficult geographical condition, and needs 2-4 days for hikers to reach the top.  Rinjani is definitely not for the amateurs because of its extremely steep and rocky trail.  According to the data, it was recorded that during 2016-2024, around 280 accidents happened in Rinjani, with 17 death and others are just 'injuries'.  Marins was originally supposed t...

July,30 2025 Final Video

Who loves corn? Yeah me too, I like corn soup, and corn as toppings on my pizza But, the “CORN” that I'm about to talking about in this video, is definitely not the ones that you're gonna welcome into your life….  Unfortunately,  I think everyone in their life is going to encounter this very unanticipated guess… at least once or twice in their life. Including, YOU. And if you're pretty unlucky, this relationship with 'corn' and be long… and painful…  especially, if you encounter the “special alien looking” ones.. SO, WATCH THE VIDEO AND SAVE YOUR LIFE

June 16, 2025 - My First Post

 Hi Everyone!  I'm Belinda,  I came from Indonesia and currently residing in Japan. It's my fifth year living in Japan. I went to Japan for the first time on winter 2021, Osaka and living there for about a year and then moved to Tokyo because I joined DHU!  To moved from Osaka to Tokyo was such a really pleasant experience because I got to experienced both sides of Kansai's warmth, loud, and friendliness and also the city life, the hectic atmosphere, and also the diversity Tokyo has to offer. Indonesians are easy to befriend with, since they are very friendly and tend to be quite expressive- which more or less resemble the Kansai people.  So, personality wise, if any Japanese came to me and ask me "what kind of person are you?"...  I'll answer, "Oh, you know, just like Osaka people!"  Although, when I came back to Indonesia for vacation, my friends told me that I act quite weird, somewhat too stiff, and the body language also feels 'foreign'....